California’s floor-breaking K-16 Training Collaboratives Grant Plan will present new pathways to job options for students in their area communities, addressing longstanding equity issues in higher training and workforce participation
SACRAMENTO – The Section of Common Expert services (DGS), Workplace of Community Faculty Development, and the Foundation for California Group Colleges declared the first 6 awards – totaling $108.6 million – for the Regional K-16 Training Collaboratives Grant Plan, as section of a $250 million investment in the 2021 Spending budget Act. This program is a critical part of a statewide technique for cultivating regional economies, strengthening instruction-to-vocation pathways, and guaranteeing that schooling, vocational, and workforce plans operate in partnership to deliver broader obtain for all to education and work alternatives.Regional K-16 Schooling Collaboratives Grant Plan website):“We’re producing new regional pipelines – K-12 educational facilities to better training to the workforce – for California’s college students that will prepare our little ones for the jobs of the potential in their communities. This necessary collaboration will help bridge equity gaps and offer much more resources to assistance our students reach their profession ambitions right in their have communities,” said Governor Gavin Newsom. As communities across the state get the job done to change our community education and learning technique from cradle to profession – scaling common transitional kindergarten, growing soon after-school courses, strengthening college obtain and affordability, and more – the regional collaboratives will provide to marshal action and boost implementation. Together with priorities this sort of as the Local community Financial Resilience Fund and Cradle-to-Vocation Knowledge Technique, California is making partnerships and constructions to guarantee guidelines translate to on-the-ground advancements. “The Division of Standard Providers is happy to be of help in administering this ground breaking software that will convey jointly regional partners to superior provide all the learners of California, making certain equitable pathways to meaningful professions,” stated DGS Director Ana Lasso. “As the business supervisor of the point out, DGS is enthusiastic to see the collaboration, program modifications and enhancements that consequence from timely investment decision.” The initial 6 awards of close to $18.1 million every, for a whole of $108.6 million, will be heading to the adhering to collaboratives (summaries of just about every collaborative can be observed on the
- Central San Joaquin Valley: Central San Joaquin Valley K16 Partnership (Fresno-Madera Collaborative & Tulare-Kings Collaborative). The Partnership brings collectively the Fresno-Madera Collaborative and Tulare-Kings Higher education & Job Collaborative – with partners which includes the Fresno County Superintendent of Colleges, Condition Heart Neighborhood Higher education District, Fresno Condition, and UC Merced – to acquire 4 schooling to operate pathways in wellbeing care, instruction, small business management, and engineering / computing, with targets to increase the variety of graduates with postsecondary levels and certifications in these high wage disciplines, near fairness gaps and economic disparities, and increase graduation rates and time-to-degree across all establishments.
- North State: North State With each other (Shasta Tehama Trinity Joint Neighborhood Faculty District). North Condition Together (NST) brings with each other companions across the location – which include the Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College or university District, Shasta County Business of Instruction, CSU Chico, and UC Davis – to increase instructional obtain, regional help networks, and cross-sector partnerships. They system to enhance higher education and career readiness, generate occupational pathway packages in well being care and instruction, and streamline transitions in between educational institutions and the workforce.
- Kern County: Kern Regional K16 Training Collaborative (Kern County Superintendent of Schools). The Kern K16 Regional Education Collaborative seeks to get ready learners for the international financial state by dismantling lengthy-standing social and economic inequities in the area, eradicating boundaries to student good results, and bettering instructional outcomes. The collaborative delivers alongside one another companions – which includes the Kern County Superintendent of Universities, Kern Community Higher education District, CSU Bakersfield, and UC Merced – to create pathways in health treatment, education and learning, and engineering/computing with a aim on fostering inclusive establishments to far better serve historically underrepresented learners, streamline pathways to levels and aid pupil transitions, and raise obtain to means supporting fundamental, digital, and financial requirements.
- Redwood Coastline: Redwood Coastline K16 Instruction Collaborative (California Point out Polytechnic College Humboldt). The Redwood Coastline Collaborative delivers jointly partners across the location – California State Polytechnic University Humboldt, Sonoma Condition University, the Humboldt County Office of Training, Redwoods Community University District, UC Davis, and ProjectAttain! – to create a strong school-going tradition in the area by making job pathways for training and well being treatment, precisely targeted on escalating participation in and completion of A-G courses and increasing retention charges in greater education and learning, particularly for Indigenous American and socioeconomically deprived learners in the area.
- Orange County: OC Pathways to and By University and Profession (Orange County Department of Education). OC Pathways aims to advertise occupation and college readiness for pupils in the Orange County location by creating and increasing job education possibilities. This undertaking delivers alongside one another companions – the Orange County Office of Instruction, Rancho Santiago Neighborhood University District, CSU Fullerton, and UC Irvine – to employ large-good quality packages in instruction, health and fitness care, small business management, and engineering/computing that supply job preparing and school credit history attainment by leveraging regional operate partnerships, reducing institutional barriers, giving arduous and applicable Job Technical Schooling programs, and college credit options for all learners.
- Sacramento: Sacramento K16 Collaborative (Los Rios Community College District). The Sacramento Collaborative provides together associates all over the area – which includes Los Rios Community University District, CSU Sacramento, UC Davis, and the Sacramento County Business office of Schooling – to establish and grow vocation pathways for learners in wellness treatment and engineering. They prepare to devote in structures supporting preparing for college and transitions in between educational establishments, acquire a regional info sharing program, and offer specific assistance to historically underserved pupils.
The plan supplies funding to greatly enhance or create collaborative endeavours among the College of California system, the California State University system, Local community Faculties, K-12 University Districts, and workforce companions. Collaboratives taking part in the program dedicate to producing two occupational pathways from the pursuing sectors:
- Well being treatment
- Education and learning
- Company administration
- Engineering or computing
Collaboratives have to also dedicate to applying four of seven tips pulled from the Recovery with Equity report to market university student good results. The seven tips are:
- Increase school, staff members, and administrator range
- Cultivate inclusive, partaking, and equity-oriented learning natural environment
- Keep learners by means of inclusive assist
- Present higher-tech, substantial-contact advising
- Support college or university planning and early credit
- Subsidize world wide web accessibility for eligible college students
- Make improvements to school affordability
The method delivers two phases for software submittal with the aim to award a person grant in just about every of the 13 Group Economic Resilience Fund or CERF regions.
The Office of General Services also intends to get the job done with a few other areas that submitted programs in this initially funding stage to solicit supplemental data for a revised software with the hope to select a single, powerful grantee for each location. There is also a 2nd stage of funding readily available to locations that need further time and preparing to set up collaborative companions or to establish their system aims. Data about the second stage of funding can be located at Regional K-16 Education and learning – Collaboratives Grant Plan (k16collaborative.org).
# # #